Thursday, March 27, 2014

I am the father of a Mormon Feminist


I found out last week that I am the father of a Mormon Feminist.
As I have thought about that, I have come to the realization that I already knew it. In fact, I am the father of 3 Mormon Feminists. As it turns out, I am also married to one.

With that in mind, I thought I would share my list of some of the things that I think make up a Mormon Feminist. I don't pretend to claim that this list is complete. However, I'm pretty sure that what I have here is accurate. Feel free to build upon the list.

A Mormon Feminist is a woman who:
1. does not need a man to complete her identity, but desires to marry a worthy man in the Temple of God in order to complete their (together) divine purpose in God's plan.
2. requires men to treat her with respect and to preside in a manner consistent with the counsel given in D&C 121. (Men, pay close attention to the "Amen", or goodbye, "to the priesthood" part.)
3. has opinions about a variety of subjects, including finances, religious doctrine, politics, child rearing, and the Priesthood. Pay careful attention, because this is also a part of the respect requirement.
4. is educated. Knowledge is power and a Mormon Feminist is a powerful woman.
5. sustains the Prophets and follows their counsel. She understands the counsel given in Isaiah, "Your thoughts are not my thoughts...".
6. supports and sustains her local church leaders. She understands that she may well be in a position of leadership and knows that she will need that same kind of support.
7. is stronger than any man alive. She is willing to go, or has already gone, into the valley of the shadow of death. Some are willing to go there multiple times.
8. knows that she is a Daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves her. She will follow him.
9. is reading this with agreement in her heart, but still feels, at least a little bit, inadequate.
10. knows she could do things herself (and probably with better results), but is confident enough in herself that she is willing let a man think he needs to help her.


Now, I'm not an expert of Mormon Feminists, but like I said before, I am the father of three and husband to one. How did I get so lucky! 

To any guys who may be reading this, I add these words of counsel: If you find a woman with these traits, latch onto her and don't let go. Ultimately these traits are more important than looks, cooking skills, or musical talents. You may not get as lucky as me, but then again, who is?

To hear from a Real Mormon Feminist, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment